Friday, September 17, 2010

Dyeing Experiment Numero Uno

I've wanted to try dyeing yarn for a long time (among so many other crafty things!) and I've just recently made my first steps.  It all began with a bunch of orange yarn gathered for me by my wonderful Mom from an estate sale in Arizona.  It looked like this:


While I like orange in principle, I was having a hard time picturing an entire item made out of heathered orange yarn.  The solution?  Kool-aid!
You can see a swatch of the original orange yarn in the lower right corner. I tried dyeing a short length of the yarn with grape, black cherry, and lemon-lime Kool-aid.  I was pleased with the warm brown I got with grape and the vibrant red that black cherry resulted in.  I decided to make Andrea's Shawl using the brown and red to show off the coordinating colors with some stripes.  First some reskeining and then into the pot with you!

Re-skeining...


Grape!  It's amazing how quickly the yarn pulled in the dye and the water went from nearly opaque purple-blue to clear.
Black Cherry!
Now the yarn has been rinsed and dried and is hanging out in my knitting chair and slowly turning into a shawl:

No comments:

Post a Comment